Sunday, April 27, 2008

Wiki Reflections

In my perusing of several library relevant wikis I found the use of wiki-technology used in a variety of very useful and interesting ways. I was particularly fond of the Book Lover's Wiki which provided rated reviews on a wide range of books that I found very useful and interesting. The example of the ALA New Orleans Wiki was also very useful in demonstrating the advantages wiki-technology can offer a large group that may or may not be in a close physical proximity to one another in that it allows a virtual space where everyone can contribute and distrubute valuable information w/out having to resort to a multitude of emails. Overall, I find wikis to be a very useful resource for libraries, however, when using them as a source of "true" information such as wikipedia offers I feel caution should be used as there are no requirements on these sites to authenticate the source for the information.

1 comment:

Terzah said...

Good comments! We also use a wiki in the ref dept. just to keep track of everything. I agree, though, that open wikis on the Internet are not good if you need an authoritative source.