Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"RSS" Really "simple" syndication

I must admit at first I was a wee bit intimidated by this particular lesson. The "discovery resources" left me slightly bewildered by their familiarity with a lingo and a purpose that I really don't relate to. "Really Simple" just did not fit the bill for my initial reactions towards this lesson. I think the initial hesitancy was due to the fact that I do not check in with about "80 websites" daily, nor had I really ever considered doing so. However, now that I have about 12 feeds going and I have marinated on the values of this technology I feel it is pretty FANTASTICALLY AWESOME! I struggled the most while trying to track down sites, which often yielded no "rss" capabilities and I became concerned how I could possibly "fill-in" 10+ "feeds"being the novice that I am. This is when I discovered the wonderful "200 Favorites" listed on the bloglines website. Through this tiny beacon of simplicity I found myself tremendously satisfied with the initial struggles I encountered comprehending the new techno-jargon I was previously feeling bogged down by. Through this method one can immediately subscribe to a variety of fascinating sites w/out going through all of the trouble of actually tracking them down as I had attempted for my first 6 or 7 sites. Now I find I feel very fortunate to have a blogline b/c it provides me with an extended network of interest that is available in one stop without having to navigate repeatedly through the web. As a personal user I am growing increasingly fond of this virtual culmination of my interests, though I am not quite sure in what ways it would be of use to the library as a whole. However, I feel that there are tremendous advantages for staff as well as patrons understanding and utilizing feed based technologies as they really save a great deal of time and encourage keeping a very large network of interest in the most readily available and accessible way.

No comments: